Halloween 2022 is just a few days away now, so we wanted to make sure to highlight the trick-or-treating hours for the area. The good news is, you don’t have rigid hours to work around, as there is no official schedule followed here in Topeka, Kansas. Some cities have specific hours and days in which children are allowed to go trick-or-treating, but that’s not the case for Topeka. Halloween is, naturally, on Monday, October 31st, and the Topeka Police Department recommends trick-or-treating between the hours of 5:30 and 9:30 p.m.
[ READ MORE: Pumpkin Patches & Other Fall 2022 Activities in Topeka, KS ]
Trips & Tricks for Trick-or-Treating
Trick-or-treating should be one of the most fun nights of the year for kids of all ages, but it’s also a night filled with dangers that you should be talking to them about ahead of time. Below is a list of trips and tricks that you and/or your children should follow on Halloween night this and every year.
- Wear or carry something reflective, be it strips of tape on your costume or your bag/pail
- Carry a flashlight to help with visibility, both for passing vehicles and to help find your own way
- Remove anything that might impair vision before crossing streets, such as masks or dark glasses
- Always walk instead of running, especially when crossing the street
- Use sidewalks & paths when possible instead of crossing through yards or walking on the street
- Children under the age of 12 should have adult supervision after dark
- Slow down and remain alert when driving through residential neighborhoods during peak hours
- Throw away candy that is unwrapped, loosely wrapped, opened, punctured, or homemade
Keep in mind that the sun will set around 6:30 p.m. on Halloween night this year and plan accordingly! It’s better to go while the sun is still out than after it gets dark.